Web 2.0 Tools Made It Easy

My son just completed a week of hockey camp.  He left a little early on the final day and didn’t get a chance to say goodbye to his favourite coach, Adam.  My son and Adam made a wonderful connection.  Adam made my son feel important and special and gave him the encouragement that was needed to try new skills.

When we got home, my son, age 7, realized that he would likely not see Adam again and felt badly he didn’t say goodbye and thank Adam for the wonderful week.  He wanted to go back to the arena (a 30 minute drive away).  I told him that we couldn’t go back and he asked if he could draw Adam a picture and mail it to him.  I had to say no to this request also as I didn’t know Adam’s address or last name.

After a few minutes of reflection time, I realized this should be an easy problem to solve.  I thought about what resources I had at my fingertips to help my son let Adam know that he made a huge impression on my special boy.  I recalled that I had an email address for the organization who organized the camp.  I knew http://www.kerpoof.com/ had a “make a drawing” feature and that it could be saved and attached to an email.  Off we went to explore.  My son tried to draw a rink and himself skating.  It was a little too difficult for him and he became frustrated.  I discovered the “make a picture” feature.  It was a little easier to use and was a better match for my son’s skill level.  He was able to find an “rink” background and then drag players, speech balloons, hockey sticks, pucks, nets etc. onto the rink to create a beautiful picture with a heart-warming message for Coach Andy.  I emailed the picture along with a message from my son to the organization.  We are hopeful that coach Andy will receive it and realize the impression he made on my boy. 

I am continually amazed at the Web 2.o world.  And the best part…today my son realized that the digital world is at his fingertips.