An explosion of Learning ~ Summer 2012

This summer has been an incredible learning experience for me in terms of my own professional development – specifically with the digital world.  A friend and colleague was teaching a free MOOC (Massive Open Online Course) and I decided to participate.  Over the course of 5 weeks I learned about online safey, creating and caring for your digital footprint, twitter as a professional networking tool and cyberbullying.  Through this course, I heard about another free online course, Powersearching with Google and I decided to explore that as well.  Both of these courses were open to anyone who was interested.  I participated on my own time and in my own way to make the learning meaningful for me.  This led me to finding out about Connected Educator Month and a free online bookclub.  It sounded like an interesting venture to participate in so I joined that also.  The format was a combination of a weekly Blackboard Collaborate Session (a virtual classroom) and a ning where I could connect with other educators in the course.  The book was called The Connected Educator – Learning and Leading in a Digital Age by Sheryl Nussbaun-Beach and Lani Ritter Hall.

I am amazed at all that I have learned this summer and feel honoured to have connected with educators from all over the world.  I continue my quest; learning about the best ways to infuse technology into our students’ education and how I can grow as a professional through “connected education” and life-long learning.  The word cloud below represents key aspects of my summer learning – my digital footprint for Summer 2012.

2 thoughts on “An explosion of Learning ~ Summer 2012

1. Just stopped by to say I like your new site. I really like this post on an explosion of learning. I’ve done a couple of Moocs and I reckon when you do one you get hooked. I’m addicted to MOOCs and have 2 coming up in the next couple of months. It’s like hooking into a whole network of people who are really keen to learn and want to network and connect, share ideas and information and basically LEARN.

Be prepared to become addicted but hey.. .there are worse things in life than meeting heaps of great people who really care about learning and really genuinely want to collaborate. Keep on blogging….

• Hello Liz,
      Thank you so much for dropping by to read my blog and for your positive comments. Can you tell me more about the 2 upcoming MOOCs you are taking? I love learning and I am amazed how many excellent and free professional development opportunities there are available online. I am really enjoying your posts in our Connected Educator Book Club!